Thursday, July 30, 2009

Savor-ing Grace

Hallelujah! Get ready, people. I feel a sermon coming on. I have found the most liberating, delicious, satisfying kitchen product ever...Ever! If you have celiac's disease or are following a gluten-free diet, sit yourself down and then get ready to get back up and jump for joy, because what we have here will make you feel like a human again.

About three months ago, JoLayna told me about a new flour coming out that was sold at Harmon's Grocery store. It's called Grandpa's Kitchen gluten free flour and she said she couldn't even taste the difference between it and "real" cookies. This speaks volumes considering JoLayna is not gluten intolerant. That's the kind of girl she is. JoLayna will taste test gluten free food for you because she's that good of a friend.

I thought, hmm. I'll have to try it. I'll admit, I set the bar pretty low. You have to have an open mind with most gluten-free products. You either get crumbly and mealy or bland and flavorless. And then the flour finally showed up in my neighborhood Harmon's. I tried some. And can I just tell you how many things I have baked that are edible since that fateful day? Old favorites like:

Zucchini bread
Banana bread
Giada's Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Brownies
Fried Chicken

I am baking things I have not had in years. Do you know what it does to a person to withhold zucchini bread for too long? Terrible things...Next I'm trying the pizza crust. And the bread mix looks promising. If they are this close to real flour, I am finally excited about baking again. Try it! You'll love it! If I was Billy Mays I would guarantee it!

2 comments:

JoLayna said...

So glad we can be blogging friends and I'm especially happy that you can bake and eat the result and get new windows and have a messy house. (Don't let Mama Bev proof that sentence!)

In another life we will see each other or chat. I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week. Business trip to CA with some fun thrown in-- Dodger game & Sea World with some of my kids (while dad stays home & #2 goes to transplant camp).

mrsmckracken said...

Oh, to be able to attend transplant camp! I'm glad we're cyber buddies, too. Hey, it's better than nothing! I'll take what I can get.

By the way you are dead to me for 10 minutes because you are going to Sea World. Humph.