Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Of Grandmas and Ostriches


This is a picture of my 12-year-old daughter. She has an unnatural obsession with ostriches. I asked her why one day, and she said, "Because, Mom, an ostrich is a bird that can't fly!" I'll agree that ostriches are quite the natural oxymoron, but I still don't get it. So when my daughter decided to do a Young Women's project involving an ostrich blanket, I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Why don't you do a practical blanket, like one you could use for the natural disaster we are always preparing for?" But it would not do.
Enter Grandma. As soon as my daughter said she wanted to do an ostrich blanket and could Grandma please help her, the wheels started turning. Grandma said, "Well, we'll need some brown fabric and some clip art." Not, "Why the heck would you want to waste perfectly good fabric on an ostrich blanket?" Not, "Why don't we find another pattern, dear." She was instantly accepting of the need to do an ostrich blanket.
That is the beauty of Grandma. She gives children the chance to explore their dreams within safe parameters. She never belittles them for their odd interests, and, in fact, encourages them. Doing something with Grandma is like a child's dream come true. Not only is she generous and available, she is kind and thoughtful. You may think all Grandmas are this way. You may be thinking, well, my grandma loved me just as much as yours does. Well, I can't argue with that. But ask your Grandma to help you with an ostrich blanket and see what she says. This is the true litmus test of love.

2 comments:

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Great blanket even with the Ostrich!!! WTG Ladies!

mrsmckracken said...

Thanks, Sheri!