Sunday, July 5, 2009

How to Make Awesome Oatmeal


My friend Morry has a fabulous foodie blog called Fare to Remember. You can click on the right side and go right to it. This is not like Morry's blog. She is technically adept, a great photographer, and she knows her ingredients. I am more of a, well, homey cook. I guess you could say I'm great at comfort food. Not Paula Deen, mind you, but if you want home cookin', I'm your gal.
So when I was growing up my dad would always get up at 6:45 and make me breakfast before I went to school. EVERY DAY. Why did my mom not do it, you ask? Because she was busy getting ready for work and she drove my lazy butt to school on her way to work every day. And my mom was smart enough to know that I was way old enough to get myself my own breakfast. (I think my five-year-old does that now, come to think of it.) But my dad was a softie and he would ask me what I wanted and make it right there, like a short order cook. My favorite thing he would make for me was oatmeal. When I got older, I tried and failed many times to make it "just like dad did." So I finally asked him how he did it and he grudgingly gave up his special secret. This is super top secret, folks. So consider yourselves lucky that I am sharing this with you.
First tip: Always use old-fashioned oats. In my opinion, quick oats are only good for putting in the blender and adding to your oatmeal cookie recipe. Boil your water and add the oats, just like the normal people do. Reduce heat to medium. Then, at the last minute of cooking, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dry oats into your cooked oats. Cook them for that last minute and serve up hot. The dry oats give a little more texture and oomph to your oatmeal. I also add a little bit of salt with my sugar and milk. It gives it a fuller taste. Recently I've taken to adding a scoop of peanut butter to my oatmeal and stirring it in. It's scrumptious and you get extra protein. Now go cook yourselves up a healthy breakfast and don't forget the adage: If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you cook him breakfast all through high school, he gets better grades.

4 comments:

melanie33 said...

i will have to try this. and you will be getting my homemade ice cream recipe soon. But trust me, your butt will NOT thank me.

mrsmckracken said...

Me and my butt have an agreement. The fat goes to the gut, where the leftover baby skin is. It's safely tucked away in there.

Anonymous said...

When can I come over for breakfast?! :) My dad is the oatmeal maker in our family too... ah - memories. (And thanks for the shout out for FTR... I'm blushing!)

JoLayna said...

My dad also made me breakfast every morning of my school (& summer) life. No wonder we're friends.