Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Virtual Tour

Since we are all so "plugged in" nowadays, I had a thought about something I heard not too long ago. I loved this conference talk by Elder Gary E. Stevenson from April 2009's General Conference. In it he talks about closing your eyes and taking a virtual tour of your home.

"Imagine that you are opening your front door and walking inside your home. What do you see, and how do you feel? Is it a place of love, peace, and refuge from the world, as is the temple? Is it clean and orderly?"

This is the entryway in my home. I love that when I come into my home or visitors come through the front door we immediately see our picture of the Savior. I know it's just a drawing, but it always makes me slow down and re-prioritize whatever busy-ness I find myself caught up in.













"As you walk through the rooms of your home, do you see uplifting images which include appropriate pictures of the temple and the Savior?"

I have already talked about the importance of a family picture wall here, and I know all of our artwork can't be family photos, but ones like these just make me happy. And in our front room we have two of my favorite paintings.


My husband and I both love Arnold Friberg. We have one of these,
which I think almost everybody in America has at least some form of in their home, and one of these, which is a little-known painting by Friberg of LDS missionaries in Denmark in the 1860s. My kids always ask me what this painting is about. We have good talks about it.



And I don't know if these are uplifting or not, but they are cool. These are old calendars that Friberg painted for the Northwest Paper Company in the 60s. We have a huge game room that was in desperate need of huge posters. They are really beautiful. And more evidence of our fascination with Friberg.

And you can never have too many Vermeers in your house. Never! (If anyone cares, I cut this out of a book and stuck it onto the tacky paper that comes with a clearance frame with no glass. Instant elegance!)
"Is your bedroom or sleeping area a place for personal prayer?" I have to say I love my room. And I have had a personal goal to read the scriptures every night before I go to bed. I'm doing pretty good so far. I've only missed a few days this year,which is unheard of for me. See, they're right there on my nightstand.









"Is your gathering area or kitchen a place where food is prepared and enjoyed together, allowing uplifting conversation and family time?"

Although my kitchen is not necessarily my favorite place in my house because of it's clunkiness, I have done my best to make it clean, bright and inviting. I know my children and I will remember the times we spent with them sitting at the bar talking to me while I fixed dinner or did some other domestic ritual. This is where we have family home evening, do our homework, make Crayola masterpieces, and have baking adventures.

"Are scriptures found in a room where the family can study, pray, and learn together? Can you find your personal gospel study space? Does the music you hear or the entertainment you see, online or otherwise, offend the Spirit? Is the conversation uplifting and without contention?"


I am hoping all of you have a spot like this in your house. I think if you don't have a junky area out there where people can see it, you seem a bit odd. Also, I think we need to work on our contention level here. (Wyatt, that means you. Being second player on XBox is not cause to hit your brother.)
Perhaps you, as I, found a few spots that need some “home improvement”—hopefully not an “extreme home makeover.”

So, back to my original thought. I know, I know. This is a big wind-up. Elder Stevenson calls this a virtual tour. I thought the play on words was interesting. We should walk through our homes looking for virtue, which I define as something lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy. There are so many things in my house that I feel need repairing or replacing, but I simply don't have the budget to change them. My vainglorious hausfrau self really, really, really wants these things to be perfect. But I think that defeats the purpose of having a virtuous FAMILY home. Without the people and the messes and the quirks, homes are just houses. And houses are no fun. But home is where the dreams come alive and hope springs eternal, and you can always find a friend. At least that's what the kids say.

2 comments:

melanie33 said...

to have a house.... [insert giant sigh here]. one day i will walk into a house that is actually mine again. but it won't look at all like yours. well maybe your "junk area". yeah, it would look a lot like that.

mrsmckracken said...

Mel, sometimes I secretly plan our world takeover together. I think that maybe the place you live in may have nicer kitchen cabs than mine, so at least that!