Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Past is Always There


This is one of my favorite things I have done in my house. This is our family photo wall. I've seen other variations on this same idea, different size frames that are all the same color, pictures in a straight line, pictures of generations of the same family all in the same frame. You probably have a wall like this somewhere in your own house. And if you don't, well, you should know by now I'm going to tell you why you need one.

My kids love that they are famous enough to have "made it" to the wall. Their favorite thing is looking at who they were when they are babies compared to how big they are now. I love that we have old pictures mixed with new ones. I love that our ancestors are the people we compare ourselves to here. My children love to come up and look at their pictures and see if they look like anyone in the family when they were little. We have some priceless moments captured on our wall. My mom and me playing at the beach. Jeff's dad on a horse at age 3. Abby and Emma's first portrait together. Our Grandpas who served in the military. My great greats who immigrated to America and made the best life they could out of nothing. It seems like the most important parts of life are represented. Serve your country. Have a happy childhood. Live a good life and make it to old age. And most of all, stick together.

3 comments:

Five Point Restoration said...

ya! stick together until you have teenagers, then you have permission to totally fall apart... really i have no idea about teens yet, but i can tell you i sure sucked at 15

melanie33 said...

oops, not brian. that would be me, melanie. crap.
i hate it when i do that

mrsmckracken said...

I was just about to have a cow that he read the blog post. It would have been cool. I'm sure you were a fine teenager and the teens we know love you, so there.