Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneering Spirit

In Utah on the 24th of July we celebrate the pioneers who settled here about 150 years ago. Usually on holidays like this I find myself at a parade or doing fireworks or at least having a barbeque to mark the occasion. But this year I am spending the day doing ordinary things and thinking more about what it takes to be a pioneer.

Really, when you say "pioneer," it doesn't mean that you have to travel a great distance in grand discomfort and eat bugs to stay alive. Actually, I think that's called "Survivor." It means you do things you haven't done before because you believe you are bigger than the fear of the unknown. I have full respect for the pioneers of old, from the Native Americans who ingeniously figured out how to survive on an entire buffalo, to the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock who survived without any training in homesteading, to the medical and scientific pioneers of today, whose innovations have changed our lives. (Mostly I'm grateful for the iPod, but I'm sure there's more than that.)

So today, I was treating myself to viewing myself as a pioneer in my own little world. I was patting myself on the back for the things I have done even though I didn't really know how to do them. This year especially I have learned so many new skills that I had always wanted to do, but shied away from because I was afraid of failure. The simple act of trying is often success enough. For example:


This year I figured out how to run a 5K. Never been a runner. Always afraid of the pain. But I bought these beautiful, expensive, fabulous shoes and we go on adventures together now.


I've learned how to grow dahlias. Plant. Water. Repeat. It was pretty easy.












So was growing 12-foot sunflowers.


















I actually grew corn that matured and produced EDIBLE ears this year. The key? Daily watering. I know, it sounds so simple. But you wouldn't believe how many days I ran outside at 8 p.m., realizing I had forgotten to water.











Making 27 jars of jam from bushes in my own yard was rewarding. And I felt a bit of pride in the fact that I paid attention to my mom all those years in the kitchen growing up. And proud that I was responsible enough for her to invite me there in the first place.








I always wondered how to cut little boy hair. This year I learned how. It's not as easy as it looks.












I've learned how to be an organized and enthusiastic Primary music chorister. It makes the calling so much less stressful. And...dare I say it? A little bit easier.







And I started a blog. For me and the three people that read it.

Although I didn't start a new community from scratch, or bury a child along the trail, or learn to cohabitate with Indians, I am a pioneer unto myself. Each new endeavor is a journey of discovery and mental strength. Each success or failure is a step along the trail. Most days I think I know where the trail is headed, sometimes I lose sight of it. Even though I didn't know how to do a lot of those things, I tried not to get caught up in the "right way of doing it" and just concentrated on doing it. And I have a lot more things I need to learn how to do but still don't know how yet. I need to learn to swim long enough to compete in a race. I need to learn how to let go of unnatural micromanaging about the decor of my house. And, as with all parents, living with a teenager is a new domain for me. Don't let the fear of the unknown keep you from discovering what it is you are truly capable of.

What things are you waiting to try but haven't yet?

6 comments:

Sheri Wojtasek said...

I enjoyed this piece! And I love reading your blog! CONGRATS on all your sucess this year!

mrsmckracken said...

Sheri, you rock. Send me your link, I'd love to read yours sometime.

barberwife said...

it took the pioneer spirit to trek back to utah with small daughter and forge a life of peace and contentment. good job
mom

mrsmckracken said...

And you totally succeeded. Thanks for breaking the cycle and striking out on your own. Love, Marge

melanie33 said...

well reading that made me feel like a giant piece of laziness.
i succeeded only in keeping my children fed and alive and birthing one of them.
all i can do is hope to follow in your example and do more this year!

mrsmckracken said...

I keep telling you, the year of birth counts triple. Just wait three years, you'll be there.