Friday, August 28, 2009


You know how it is when you're around kids. There's usually something that is their favorite thing to do that they want to do all the time that completely annoys you. Playland at McDonald's. Nickelcade. The mall. My youngest child loves to go see "The Nemo's," which, if you don't speak Maggie, means The Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy. So today I pulled up my big girl panties and decided to muscle through yet another trip to the aquarium. And my children pleasantly surprised me.


For starters, none of them ran away in the crowds of people to hide behind someone else. They stayed right with me. They patiently waited to look at the tanks of fish and seahorses and octopuses and starfish without clotheslining any other children. They were too scared without their bigger brother and sisters to touch the sting rays in the tank, so we didn't even have to wash our hands. They got scared when I tried to poke the piranhas through the glass. And they let me take their pictures and even said "Cheese." This may not seem like a big deal, but to a mom who has usually chased up to five children in public places for eight years, this was a welcome relief.
I believe in field trips. I think there are things you can learn out in the big, bright world that you can't learn at home, internet or no. But I have to admit, field trips take a toll on the parents. There is a lot of preparation to be done before you leave. And 70% of that preparation is mental. The difference in today's trip? Totally spontaneous. We just did it because everyone else was at school. No pressure, no preparation, just going in for fun with plenty of time to wander. I'm going to have to remind myself to do that again sometime.

No comments: