Monday, August 10, 2009

Up, Up and Away


I love this picture. We were all riding the ski lift up to do the Alpine Slide. Oldest was off at camp, youngest was in that building behind us with Grandma and Grandpa, oblivious to the fun she was missing. It was a perfect day in Park City, not too hot, not too chilly, just right for riding up and down a mountain.
I love that all the kids are smiling, and that Sam's smile looks a bit tortured. I love that they are all holding on to the railing, because I was so adamant that they "be safe." They are listening! And I love that we are just together and having fun.
It seems like so much of the time I spend mothering is in saying no, or scolding, or directing traffic. I am so often caught with my eyebrows knitted together and the corners of my mouth drawn down. It seems that I can truly let go and have a great time enjoying my children's company only when we do something unplanned, off the schedule. When we have places we need to go and stuff we've gotta do, that's when I turn drill sargent. Luckily, that's what summer is for. For filling up the blow-up pool in the backyard and blasting each other with the hose to going to Grandma's house to making popcorn balls for no reason, summer is the time to truly enjoy each other's company. What are your favorite ways to connect in the summer?

2 comments:

melanie33 said...

summer for us is water. water in the pool, on the slip in slide, coming out of sprinklers, in the form of ice, and in our snow cones. I love summer and hate to see school start and take with it my ability to be lazy. dang that responsibility.

mrsmckracken said...

I love the ability to lay around in my bed in the morning. I always wake up at 7, but most days I don't get up until 9. Sigh. I will miss that, too.