Friday, August 28, 2009

The Unfinished Product


So, prepare yourself. This is the blog post where Margo acts like a total and complete brat. There. I said it. So we had our house painted a few months ago, and it only cost half a million dollars. Then we had the windows replaced last month, which was about two million dollars. And those were two of the biggest jobs I thought I wanted done to make me finally have a long and torrid love affair with Grace Kelly. However, it has seemed to exacerbate our already shaky relationship. We just aren't jiving. The trim color we picked seemed great at the time, but once the windows were in, they all just seemed to clash with one another. I have thought about this for weeks, and let me tell you how annoying it is to think about something so material and bratty for so long. It's annoying. So today, my nice neighbor Mike took me on a little field trip to look at some of these darling cottages with beautiful paint jobs. And I think I've found the solution.
I'm going to pretend I don't have orange brick on my house and paint the trim a nice tan color. Not cream, that's too light. Not taupe, that's too much the same color as the stucco. A nice, middle of the road tan to balance out the stucco, brick, and window colors. The fact that I'm even having this conversation with myself is enough to make me move to Guatemala to live in a hut with dirt floors to make me appreciate what I do have, which is a house without a leaky roof but with a leaky basement, a house with a kitchen but not a pretty one, and a house with happy people inside but with one discontented mother. I am such a bad paint picker anyway, I have no idea why I thought I could pick paint for a huge, expensive, long-lasting project like this. It's the epitome of Marge Madness.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

Another option: paint the brick too.

Your home is lovely, but I know what it feels like to be dissatisfied with your home. I've lived that way for 13 years now!