Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Hidden Treasure

I was walking around my house the other day looking for my three year old who was entirely too quiet. After looking all over the top floor of my house, I decided to give up and go downstairs. Then something caught my eye. A shape that looked a little familiar was on the ground where my bedspread was. I carefully walked up to it and felt it. It was warm. I peeled back the edge of the blanket and there she was, safely wrapped in Mom's bedspread, oblivious to the fact that she was asleep on the floor. I was overcome with peace looking at this little bundle of person. For a moment I wished I was the one blissfully sleeping the afternoon away. Then I wanted to lay down on the carpet and snuggle with her, because she's so grumpy when she's awake that the only time she's loving and tender it seems is when she's asleep. Then I was glad she was resting, and crept off to do another job or something totally unimportant. I'm so glad I found this hidden treasure. It made me think of all the things or people I just walk right by so many times a day that I don't appreciate. I take for granted the many things that I have right here next to me and continue to wish for better things that don't matter. My materialism is rearing it's ugly head right now. There are so many things I would like to do, so many items I'd like to have, that I get caught up in how many pennies it will take for me to reach my goals of getting stuff. And I walk right by the thing I'm looking for because it's covered in the everyday. Making a point of looking for the hidden treasure is what takes talent. Spending time with little kids who love you even though you have a messy kitchen takes time. Doing what is smart with your money instead of being frivolous and spending it on things you want is difficult. But they are all worth doing and all will bring more happiness than a house full of stuff that doesn't look sweet when it's sleeping.

No comments: