Monday, December 14, 2009

My Very Own Christmas Story

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I felt as thought I was living in a movie. Not an action packed movie like Rambo or anything, but we watched a classic movie with our kids and I had the realization that both of my boys were represented on the screen.

Can you tell who I'm talking about yet? Wyatt is soooo Ralphie. One track mind. Does good things so he can get rewards later. Imitates his dad. Sam is soooooo Randy. Never eats voluntarily. Whines a lot. Very cute, but very annoying to his big brother. Hates to wear his puffy coat.

Needless to say, I love the movie, "A Christmas Story." I love the leg lamp and the neighbor's dogs, the chinese turkey and the pink bunny pajamas. I love the 40s decor and vintage soap boxes in the background. I love the tree with huge lights on it and the dad who cusses all the time. But I really, really love seeing my boys on the screen. Every time Randy hides under the cupboard drinking a glass of milk I think of Sam hiding in the linen closet drinking from his sippy cup. Every time Ralphie tries to convince his parents to buy him that rifle and keeps trying and keeps trying, I think of Wyatt's determination to get things his way whether anyone likes it or not. When I see those two boys fighting each other to get up the stairs first on Christmas Eve I think of my boys, well, fighting to get up the stairs first on Christmas Eve. Sometimes it's good to know a movie by heart. I get to live this one every day.

3 comments:

melanie33 said...

love the movie, love the boys, and love that you are back to posting!!

mrsmckracken said...

I know. Dry spell. No more words. It's tough to write two blogs! Hope your house is still your favorite new toy!

melanie33 said...

Is this thing on?

Two months is a LOONG dry spell.

just sayin'....