Sunday, July 26, 2009

Aaugh! I Can't Handle It!


Am I the only one out there who finds themselves attracted to reality tv in summer? (Of course that's hypothetical, I'm sure studio execs plan it that way) It's just there, the perfect waste of time, tv packaged as a learning experience that is really a small soap opera waiting to swallow you up in it's clutches.


A few weeks ago on Sunday I was flipping through the channels and there it was: The Next Food Network Star. Never watched before. Haven't missed since. For some reason it appeals to me, the stress, the failure, the attempts at interesting cuisine, the people who cook without looking at recipes.


The thing is, I am semi-obsessed with this show, and I've never even met another person who watches it. It has to be a big deal, right? It's got Bobby Flay, for heaven's sake. He's the money, if you ask me. Do you watch it? Do you even care? They are down to the final two, and I've gotta say, I'm really rooting for Melissa the stay at home mom who's never been to culinary school. Can you see why that speaks to me? You go, girl.


Next week, they'll choose a winner and I can relax. But I think then I'll miss my little soap opera. Oh, wait. Design Star.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've never met another person who watches it? Girl.... you're hanging with the wrong crowd. Of course I love it...

melanie33 said...

i have not caught this, but i love my reality tv. for sure. as long as it doesn't involve men dating multiple women at the same time and giving them roses.

mrsmckracken said...

Or men dating multiple men.

And Mo, thanks for turning me into a foodie. I promise, I was all up in the decorating crowd and then BAM I started caring about food. I trace it back to Fare to Remember. I actually had a dream about mascarpone cheese the other night.

JoLayna said...

You don't even need to ask me, right? You know the answer: I have no time for TV--I can't even think of the last time I turned it on. What's the Food Network? ;)